Study in Australia | Visa Subclass 500 Student Visas for Australia
Student Visa Australia

Study in Australia

Visa Subclass 500 Student Visas for Australia

As of the 1 July 2016, the Department of Home Affairs
has made significant changes to the student visa regulations.

All previous eight student visa subclasses were removed and replaced with just two visa subclasses: Subsclass 500 and 590.

The Subclass 500 is for any student who wishes to study or extend their studies in Australia. The Subclass 590 is for Student Guardians.


Overview of the New Student Visa Framework

According to the Department of Home Affairs, the new model under the simplified student visa framework (SSVF) requires that each country and each (CRICOS) registered education provider be allocated an immigration risk rating. The education providers and country immigration risk ratings are then combined to guide financial and English evidentiary requirements for student visa applicants.

The good news is that all students, no matter what the country of origin or location of application, may now apply online for their Australian student visas. However, this does by no means mean that the risk is any less than before especially in meeting the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) requirement.

The other good news is that choosing education providers that hold the lowest immigration risk ratings will contribute to a student’s application assessment in having streamlined evidentiary requirements for all countries, while education providers with the highest immigration risk rating only receive these benefits
for students from the lowest immigration risk countries.

In other words, students whose country holds a high immigration risk should ultimately ensure the main course they enrol into is with an education provider that holds the lowest immigration risk rating. This will determine the evidentiary requirements by the DIBP for the student visa.

Where streamlined evidentiary requirements apply, the student visa applicant will generally be able to satisfy the Department of their financial capacity by declaration and they will not generally need to provide evidence their English proficiency. We however can seek further evidence where appropriate.

Where regular evidentiary requirements apply, the student will generally be required to provide documentary evidence of their financial
and English language capacity.


Student Visa (subclass 500)

As an International student, you will need to hold a valid student visa prior to starting your studies in Australia.

Many of our clients who have completed their studies in Australia have now become Australian residents and have the chance to grow their career and enjoy the opportunities that have come from a world class education.

Under the Student visa (subclass 500) provides you an opportunity to study under all levels of education, including primary, secondary, tertiary, postgraduate and trade related courses.  You can also study English to help you communicate better in the world of business or prepare you for further studies in Australia.

You must:

  • be at least six years of age
  • have been accepted to study at an educational institution in Australia
  • have health insurance.
  • have appropriate English language requirements.
  • meet the health requirements.


    Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590)

    This visa allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa. With many restrictions, conditions and application requirements, it is best to seek advice from a registered migration agent in the planning, preparation and lodgement stages of this visa.

    You must:

    • be the student’s parent, legal guardian or relative
    • have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay
    • be able to provide accommodation and other support
    • be at least 21 years of age.


      Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)

      If you have recently graduated from an Australian education provider and want to live and work in Australia after your studies, you could be eligible for one of the two visa streams in the temporary graduate visa program.

      Our agents can determine the right stream for you to maximise your chances of achieving your career and visa goals for the short and long term.

      Read more information about Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485).

      Before you apply:

      You must:

      • be under 50 years of age
      • hold an eligible visa
      • have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course
      • meet additional requirements of the relevant stream

      The qualification must either:

      • relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (Graduate Work stream)
      • be a higher education degree (Post-Study Work stream)

        Points Calculator Take Visa Assessment Contact Us