Visa changes to assist Australian tourism and agriculture - Mygration
My Australia

Latest Policies and News

Visa changes to assist Australian tourism and agriculture

Share this Article

There has always been a struggle amongst the agricultural and tourism industries with the restrictive terms of the existing Working Holiday (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa holders.  In particular the region of Northern Australia is finding it difficult to compete for overseas workers when they are up against the bright lights of the capital cities as well as restrictions on how long they are able to employ the working holiday visa holders.

This is all about to change with an announcement from Peter Dutton, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection announced that as per the findings and recommendations made from the White Paper on Developing Northern Australia.

The report documented the struggles many Northern Australian business owners were facing in regards to training and keeping good staff, especially if their business/industry was located remotely.

The changes involve:

  • Working Holiday Makers (WHM) visa holders able to work for a single employer for 12 months instead of the previously stipulated 6 months.
  • Allowing Working and Holiday (subclass 462) Visa holders the option to extend their stay and allowance if they work within the agricultural industry.*

These changes to the WHM are specifically targeted to several areas where employment is in high demand. These industries include:

  • Agriculture
  • Tourism
  • Aged Care
  • Disability Care
  • Construction
  • Mining

Mr Dutton commented on the benefit to both Australian industries and to the participants in the WHM visa programme.  “Beyond giving visa holders more options when visiting and working in Australia this will also support employers in the north seeking to attract and retain staff who are trained in their roles and keen to stay on longer than six months.”

If you are interested in applying for a working visa to Australia and would like to speak to a qualified and registered migration agent based in Australia, contact our Mygration head office today.

Skilled Worker

  • Change will come into effect 2016

Source of information and quotes:

Comments are closed.

Points Calculator Take Visa Assessment Contact Us