Study in Australia - Mygration AustraliaMygration
Student Visa Australia

Study in Australia

Visa Subclass 500 Student Visas for Australia

As of the 1 July 2016, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection
has made significant changes to the student visa regulations.

All previous eight student visa subclasses were removed and replaced with just two visa subclasses: Subsclass 500 and 590.

The Subclass 500 is for any student who wishes to study or extend their studies in Australia. The Subclass 590 is for Student Guardians.


Overview of the New Student Visa Framework

According to the DIBP, the new model under the simplified student visa framework (SSVF) requires that each country and each (CRICOS) registered education provider be allocated an immigration risk rating. The education providers and country immigration risk ratings are then combined to guide financial and English evidentiary requirements for student visa applicants.

The good news is that all students, no matter what the country of origin or location of application, may now apply online for their Australian student visas. However, this does by no means mean that the risk is any less than before especially in meeting the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) requirement.

The other good news is that choosing education providers that hold the lowest immigration risk ratings will contribute to a student’s application assessment in having streamlined evidentiary requirements for all countries, while education providers with the highest immigration risk rating only receive these benefits
for students from the lowest immigration risk countries.

In other words, students whose country holds a high immigration risk should ultimately ensure the main course they enrol into is with an education provider that holds the lowest immigration risk rating. This will determine the evidentiary requirements by the DIBP for the student visa.

Where streamlined evidentiary requirements apply, the student visa applicant will generally be able to satisfy the Department of their financial capacity by declaration and they will not generally need to provide evidence their English proficiency. We however can seek further evidence where appropriate.

Where regular evidentiary requirements apply, the student will generally be required to provide documentary evidence of their financial
and English language capacity.

Click here to determine your evidentiary requirements.

Student Visa Contact us

At Mygration we are able to assist you by advising on the best courses suitable for your study needs, assisting with enrolment process for authorised Australian education providers and immigration advice and lodgment.

Applicants who are wanting a study work visa pathway must speak to a registered migration agent in Australia to determine future visa pathways based on studying in Australia.

We are able to assist you with your student visa for all industry related courses such as hospitality qualifications, professional degree qualifications, trade qualifications, etc. to be able to:

  • Study in Brisbane
  • Study on the Gold Coast
  • Study in regional areas in Australia
  • Study in New South wales and Sydney
  • Study in Victoria and Melbourne

Please email us to find your study requirements.

Contact us

Points Calculator Take Visa Assessment Contact Us