Migrate to Australia | Skilled Migration & Permanent Residency Visa
My Australia

Latest Policies and News

How To Move To Australia

Share this Article

So you are looking to move to Australia.  You keep thinking about it but you are not sure how to get an Australian visa, our guide will assist you in choosing the correct visa type and the processes involved to assist with your visa application.

Please note:  They can be subject to change by the Australian or state government.

What Types of  Australian Visa are there

There are a few different kinds of visas you could be eligible for to get you into Australia depending on your circumstances, of the most popular kinds of visas, we have provided a list below.

Employer Sponsored Workers (457, 186 and 187)

457 Visa

  • to be eligible you have to have been sponsored by an approved business.
  • you have the required skills to fill a position nominated by an approved business.

186 Visa

  • to be eligible you have to have been nominated by an approved Australian employer
  • you are younger than 50 years of age, unless you are exempt
  • you meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless you are exempt
  • apply under the stream for which you were nominated.

187 Visa Regional

  • to be eligible you have to have been nominated by an approved Australian employer for a job in regional Australia (regional Australia does not include the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong or Melbourne)
  • you are younger than 50 years of age, unless you are exempt
  • you meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless you are exempt
  • apply under the stream for which you were nominated.

There are 3 kinds of employer sponsored visas above.  These visa’s can eventually lead to becoming a permanent resident and are the easiest and quickest way to get into Australia.  If you stay out of trouble and work for the same employer for 2 years then you will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

The way the sponsored visa work is the employer has to satisfy the Australian government that they cannot find a suitable Australian worker to fill the advertised position.

Professional Skilled Migrant Visas (Subclass 189)

You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited. When sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:

  • a nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • you have obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
  • have not yet turned 50 years of age
  • you must have achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
  • be at least competent in English.

Permanent visas are also available for highly skilled positions that are in demand across Australia. These are known as Skilled Independent Visas (subclass 189) which allow you to move to Australia as a skilled permanent resident.

All visas above are points tested and the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) will have a list of occupations that are currently eligible.

Business Investment Visas (Provisional and subclass 188)

  • Business Innovation stream visa: These visas are for people with business skills who want to establish, develop and manage a new or existing business in within Australia.  All Applicants must be nominated by a state or territory government.
  • Investor stream visa: These visas are for people who want to make a designated investment of at least AUD1.5million in an Australian state or territory and maintain business and investment activity in Australia. Applicants must be nominated by a state or territory government.
  • Significant Investor stream visa: These visas are for people who are willing to invest at least AUD5million into complying significant investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia. Applicants can be nominated by a state or territory government or Austrade on behalf of the Australian government.
  • Premium Investor stream visa: These visas are for people who are willing to invest at least AUD15million into complying premium investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia. Applicants must be nominated by Austrade on behalf of the Australian government.
  • Entrepreneur stream visa: These visas are for people who have a funding agreement from a third party for at least AUD200 000 to undertake a complying entrepreneur activity that is proposed to lead to either the commercialisation of a product or service in Australia or the development of a business in Australia. Applicants must be nominated by a state or territory government.

Please Note: The business investment visa information has been taken from the Border,gov website and can be subject to change.

Partner Visas (subclass 820 and 801)

There are two categories of visas which are for partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents wanting to go through the Australian Immigration process.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) which entitles you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is the first stage towards obtaining a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.

The Partner visa subclasses are specifically designed for people who are either onshore or offshore and are either married or in a de facto relationship, or are offshore and are engaged to be married.

For further information visit the Border.gov website.

Student Visas (Subclass 500 and 590)

The Subclass 500 visa is for any student who wants to study or extend their studies in Australia. The Subclass 590 visa is for Student Guardians.

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.

This visa has two streams taken from the Border.gov website these are:

  • Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.
  • Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification.

Investor Retirement Visas (subclass 405)

  • To be eligible you have to be 55 years or older
  • you have no dependents (other than a partner, if any)
  • you currently meet the income requirements
  • are able to make a significant long term financial investment in Australia.

The Australian Investor Retirement visa is a temporary visa that allows self-funded retirees to invest and spend up to four (4) years in Australia as stated on the Border.gov website.

Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)

  • To be eligible you will have to be at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
  • You do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia
  • You have a passport from an eligible country.

​The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries.

First Working Holiday visa: You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when the visa is decided.

Second Working Holiday visa: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Working in Australia – six months with one employer: You can generally only work six months with one employer.

To check your eligibility please see the Border.gov website.

Getting Professional Assistance

It is very important to get a registered Migration Agent. Our firm has a wide range of professionals that not only provide services relating to migration law, but offer a whole wealth of valuable migration expertise and knowledge on assessment criteria for all visas to Australia. Our team of professionals hold over 11 years’ experience in accounting, migration law and career planning in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Spain, the UK, Israel, China and many other countries.

We believe that the key to your success of moving to Australia begins with placing yours and your family’s trust in a firm that is based on placing your needs first.

The Points System

Choosing the correct visa for skilled or general migration will be subject to a certain level of required points

There are a varied number  of ways to get into Australia as mentioned above and some points calculators are slightly different depending on which visa type you are going to apply for.

You can check your eligibility by using our Australian Immigration Points Calculator to see what your outcome is.

Skills Assessment

If you have a recognised skill with a recognised qualification, then the following probably doesn’t apply to you. But what if you have a skill that is possibly in demand here, but no recognised qualification?

We have a skilled visa assessment form to assist you with this process.

The points system final thoughts

If you have enough points, our migration agents will let you know which options you have and recommend the best option for you. If you do not have enough points, we will recommend things you can do to improve your points total so that you do qualify.

There are many ways to successfully move to Australia, our agents know them all. If there is a way in for you, we will find it.

Finding a Sponsor:

The first step is to find any business who is able to sponsor you to get a working visa, they must have required qualifications. If you want to know more about it you can always turn to us. According to your experience and other qualifications, we may recommend you to a business.

Filling out the visa application form

So here we are, we have done all our research and are now at the point of filling in the dreaded visa applications form and find out about some of the costs involved in moving to Australia.

Before we proceed lets make you aware of some of the costs involved in moving so you have a general idea if you can afford it or not.

How much does it cost to move to Australia?

Before we give you a run down of average costs we would like to make you aware that we as registered migration experts adhere to a strict code of professional conduct at all times to obtain our licenses with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Also we like to make it clear for you that the cost of our migration agent services is only a small percentage of the total overall costs involved to apply and live in Australia.  Our MARA fees are usually at the early stages of the initial Australia immigration process.

Some people will be tempted to try and save costs by giving it a go themselves, we always advise against this as there is no better way to have the best chance of success than by using a professional registered migration agent like us.

The Australian government do not want to be overloaded with any poor quality or incomplete applications and expect us as registered agents to filter through these and meet the required standards to apply.

Do not forget that you will loose all government fees if your application is unsuccessful.

OK.  Back to the pricing information you are keen to know

Depending which country you are currently in the prices will vary, below is a list you will need to consider which we have averaged out in Australian dollars.  Please note this is a rough guide and will be subject to change from country to country.

  • The costs of shipping your furniture over in a container.  Allow approx $10,000 AUD
  • Moving your pet to Australia Approx $1,000 AUD each
  • Flight tickets for the whole family (One way) Around $1,000 AUD per person
  • Depending which visas type, our migration agent professional fees. Between $3,500 and $10,000 AUD
  • Australian government costs Approx $3600 AUD main applicant $1,700 second applicant
  • Medical fees (which includes two x-rays) Approx $500 AUD per person
  • Skills assessment and consultation fee.  Between $300 and $1000
  • Administration fees, any professional certification charges, criminal record costs, postage Approx $350 AUD

So as you can see you are looking at around $20,250 AUD minimum, of course allow approximately another $10,000 AUD on top of that if family is included in the application process.  Many people who have already made the move to Australia believe that it is a small prices to pay to live in this beautiful country which was recently voted the safest place in the world to bring your children up in.

Transferring Money Overseas

There are a number of reasons you could be moving your money abroad prior to your arrival in Australia.  You may be selling your home, or, you might be investing in Australia.  Whichever reason it happens to be the cheapest way is to utilise companies such as Compare and Choose to transfer money overseas. They specialise in getting you the best possible exchange rates, it is much cheaper than transferring money through your bank.  To give you an example you can save around $100 for every $2000 you transfer and if you are transferring a large amount you can save even more.

Bringing Your Pet to Australia

All cats and dogs must stay at the Mickleham post entry quarantine facility in Melbourne for at least 10 days. They will have to stay longer if there are issues that increase the biosecurity risk (for example, if a tick is found on your dog, it will need to stay for around 30 days until blood testing is repeated at your cost).

There are many companies that specialise in bringing your pets into Australia so we have listed three of them for you which are:

Jet Pets

Pet Travel

Pet Carriers

For further information please refer to the Agriculture Government Website

Our agents

At Mygration our aim is to provide you with the highest quality service according to our excellent standards. We already realise above that choosing a registered migration agent is a difficult task in the beginning stages of your migration process.

This expertise and reputable knowledge enable us to add value to your migration application while migrating to Australia as all areas relating to the visa are addressed accordingly and thoroughly.

Follow the link if you want to find out more about our management team.

We know the feeling

We all know the saying about the bald man trying to sell hair growth products?

Mygration team members understand your needs. Why? Some of our team have experienced the move ourselves to Australia. We understand the hassles and frustration of paperwork, law, and compliance and ultimately the personal stresses and fears that you might experience in uprooting your family to a new land and leaving your culture behind.

The good news is that we are there to ‘hold your hand all the way’. Our team comprising of experience and industry qualified skilled migrants will provide valuable support in meeting your needs with your move to Australia.

We protect our customers

Being registered migration agents with the Migration Agents Registration Authority in Australia means that our clients can only experience the highest quality in service as registered migration agents cannot operate or be licenced to operate without complying with the Code of Conduct provided for under section 314 of the Migration Act 1958.

The Code of Conduct is intended to regulate the conduct of registered migration agents. We are obligated to comply with the Code of Conduct in all matters relating to ethics, confidentiality, quality and compliance with our customers. For more information about the code of conduct click here

Part of the code ensures that that we are obligated to provide adequate arrangements to avoid financial loss to a client, including the holding of professional indemnity insurance.

The key to our success

Our client’s trust our processes, our advice, our expertise and knowledge and most importantly – Our clients trust our Team to handle their cases when moving to Australia.

Do you want to migrate to Australia? Contact us today.

Comments are closed.

Points Calculator Take Visa Assessment Contact Us